e premte, 15 qershor 2007

Elias Sports Bureau

I hate the Elias Sports Bureau. Although Elias holds themselves out as a service for the benefit of the fans' enjoyment of sports, they actually do damage to the pasttimes they cover. Elias monopolizes game statistics and prevents fans and other groups from enhancing analysis and coverage of the games. Mind you, I have no problem with Elias carefully protecting all their own research, such as finding the last 12 times a pitcher got more hits batting in a game than he allowed as the pitcher. But their continued and longstanding tradition of refusing to even sell the basic game event data is disgusting. You can read all about it in Alan Schwarz' amazing baseball statistics book, The Numbers Game.

Meanwhile, Elias' monopoly continues to crumble. With the recent rolling out of Baseball-Reference.com's Play Index, now any common fan can search for batting or pitching events, games, or streaks. Who the hell needs Elias?

B-R.com now has a Stat of the Day blog, for which I am invited blogger. This blog mainly uses the Play Index to find interesting baseball statistics. For the fans, by the fans, with no damned monopoly. Down with Elias.

5 komente:

Unknown tha...

Sorry to leave this here - pressed for time and I couldn't find another place to put it but regarding your bbref post on willie harris... I find it even more amazing that he did it in '8' innings since ATL was the home team! Great work though!

Unknown tha...

ps - the reason I didn't comment on Sean's site is that I am not yet registered!

Mike
kpjob4me@gmail.com

Anonim tha...

I worked for the Elias Sports Bureau for 2 years (1988 & 1989). I have a lot of stories about how awful it was.

Kingturtle

Unknown tha...

hey, i want to work for Elias...what is their contact??

Anonim tha...

Juan Samuel 1984. There was noplace to put an answer